We recommend brushing your hair extensions with a loop brush or tangle teezer, at least twice a day. Begin by holding your roots when brushing, starting from the ends of your hair, working your way up to your roots. By doing this this will ensure you do not accidentally pull to harshly on the hair and pull some hair strands loose from their weft. Just like your own hair, remy hair extensions require a little TLC so please brush and treat your Minque hair extensions with care when styling.
To ensure your hair extensions last as long as possible we recommend using our Hydrate Hair Care Range as well as styling your extensions with your appliances on a low heat setting, as high temperatures may cause damage just as it would your natural hair. Alternatively, we recommend using salon quality hair care products that are used for either coloured hair or hydrating and nourishing hair. As your remy hair extensions do not produce natural oils the way your natural hair would they do not need to be washed as frequently. You can increase the longevity and quality of your temporary Minque hair extensions such as our clip ins or halos, by limiting the amount of times you wash your extensions. We recommend washing your extensions once every two weeks, or when their is a large amount of product build up from either hairspray, nourishing hair oils or heat protectant.
We also suggest using a heat protectant when styling your extensions, as you should with your own hair too. We recomend using one that also protects from environmental damage including sun, wind and humidity. By following these steps you can help to prolong the lifespan of your luxury Minque hair extensions.
If you are wearing more permanent hair extensions such as tapes, weft or micro beads, avoid using hot tools on the attachment of your hair extensions.
DO NOT bleach hair extensions.
Clip In hair extensions do not need to be washed often, as they do not receive oils from our scalp like our natural hair. We recommend washing your extensions every 15-20 wears or when you notice a build-up of product from hair spray or heat protectant. The less you wash your extensions the longer they will last.
When you are washing your extensions you treat them similarly to your own hair, using a shampoo first followed by conditioner and a hydrating mask. When you are washing the hair never use circular motions as it may tangle the hair and always rinse thoroughly to remove excess product.
If you are wearing more permanent hair extensions, like Tape, it is recommended that you wash your hair extensions 2-3 times per week with our Hydrate range, in addition to using a weekly mask.
1. Fill your basin with luke-luke warm water.
2. Place a small amount of hydrating shampoo in your hands and lather the entire strand beginning at the scalp in a downward motion to the ends of the extensions. Gentle massage the shampoo into each strand of hair separately.
3. Place your hair extensions strand in the water and gentle massage the product out of the hair with the water. Repeat for the rest of the hair extension pieces.
4. Follow this step when conditioning.
5. The most important step when washing your hair extensions is to use a hydrating masque to lock in moisture. Gentle massage your hydrating hair masque into each strand of hair from root to tip.
6. In order to get the most from your masque we recommend placing your extensions in a plastic bag or alternatively cling wrap for 1-2 hours. This will lock in the moisture further.
7. Gently wash your hair extensions with warm water. This may take you a little while if you have got any product in the weft band. We recommend washing this band first making sure the water does not run down into the hair, before then washing the hair strand.
8. Once you are absolutely sure there is no more product remaining in your hair extensions. Blast your hair extensions with cold water. This will close the hair cuticles.
9. To keep your extensions silky straight. Lie your hair extensions down on a towel to dry. Taking a wide tooth comb gently comb through each hair extension making sure to hold down on the roots to ensure you are not pulling too harshly on the weft. This will also keep your extensions from tangling when wet.
10. Use a leave in moisturiser after use and after each wash to keep extensions smooth, silky and soft and avoiding tangling when applied in your natural hair.
Before swimming we recommend using a leave-in moisturiser in your hair and tieing your hair in a loose plait. Remove the plait immediately after swimming and brush your hair with a wide tooth comb to avoid tangling and breakage. When brushing start from your ends, holding the roots gently to avoid damaging the hair, just as you would your natural hair.
We also recommend washing your hair extensions after swimming.
Before exercising tie your hair in loose plaits to prevent tangling.
We recommend never sleeping with wet hair.
Before going to sleep, plait your hair into two loose plaits as this will prevent tangling, matting or pulling on the extensions.
Sleeping with a satin/silk pillowcase will also help prevent tangling and is proven to be beneficial to hair extensions and your natural hair.
We do not recommend wearing your clip in hair extensions while sleeping, as this can lead to tangling and damage of the hair extensions and your natural hair.
Always attend regular check up appointments and maintenance appointments.
It is normal to lose several hair extensions so please do not be alarmed and make an appointment with your Salon to have them re-applied or moved up when necessary.